[linux-lvm] exposing snapshot block device

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon Sep 7 17:50:35 UTC 2020

Dne 07. 09. 20 v 19:37 Tomas Dalebjörk napsal(a):
> thanks
>
> ok
>   vgsplit/merge instead
> and after that lvconvert-s
>
> yes, I am aware of the issues with corruption
> but if the cow device has all data, than no corruption will happen, right?
>
> if COW has a copy of all blocks
> than a lvconvert —merge, or mount of the snapshot volume will be without issues

If the 'COW' has all the data - why do you need then snapshot ?
Why not travel whole LV instead of snapshot ?

Also - nowdays this old (so called 'thick') snapshot is really slow compared
with thin-provisioning - might be good if you check what kind of features
you can gain/loose if you would have switched to thin-pool
(clearly whole thin-pool (both data & metadata) would need to travel between
your VGs.)

Regards

Zdenek