[linux-lvm] exposing snapshot block device

Dalebjörk, Tomas tomas.dalebjork at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 14:14:16 UTC 2020

Hi Mikulas,

Thanks for the replies

I am confused now with the last message?

LVM doesn't support taking existing cow device and attaching it to an
existing volume?

Isn't that what "lvconvert --splitsnapshot" & "lvconvert -s" is ment to
be doing?

lets say that I create the snapshot on a different device using these steps:

root at src# lvcreate -s -L 10GB -n lvsnap vg/lv /dev/sdh
root at src# lvconvert ---splitsnapshot vg/lvsnap
root at src# echo "I now move /dev/sdb to another server"
root at tgt# lvconvert -s newvg/newlv vg/lvsnap

Regards Tomas