[linux-lvm] Looking ahead - tiering with LVM?

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Wed Sep 9 19:21:56 UTC 2020

>>>>> "Zdenek" == Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac at redhat.com> writes:

Gionatan> Il 2020-09-09 17:01 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk ha scritto:
> [...]
Gionatan> It really depends on the use case. I applied it to a
Gionatan> fileserver, so working at file level was the right
Gionatan> choice. For VMs (or big files) it is useless, I agree.

>> This assumes you're tiering whole files, not at the per-block level
>> though, right?

Gionatan> But the only reason to want tiering vs cache is the
Gionatan> additional space the former provides. If this additional
Gionatan> space is so small (compared to the combined, total volume
Gionatan> space), tiering's advantage shrinks to (almost) nothing.

>> Do you have numbers?  I'm using DM_CACHE on my home NAS server box,
>> and it *does* seem to help, but only in certain cases.   I've got a
>> 750gb home directory LV with an 80gb lv_cache writethrough cache
>> setup.  So it's not great on write heavy loads, but it's good in read
>> heavy ones, such as kernel compiles where it does make a difference.
>>
>> So it's not only the caching being per-file or per-block, but how the
>> actual cache is done?  writeback is faster, but less reliable if you
>> crash.  Writethrough is slower, but much more reliable.

Zdenek> dm-cache (--type cache) is  hotspot cache (most used areas of device)

I assume this is what I'm using on Debian Buster (10.5) right now?  I
use the crufty tool 'lvcache' to look at and manage my cache devices.

Zdenek> dm-writecache (--type writecache) is great with
Zdenek> write-extensive load (somewhat extends your page cache on your
Zdenek> NMVe/SSD/persistent-memory)

I don't think I'm using this at all:

sudo lvcache status data/home
+-----------------------+------------------+
| Field                 | Value            |
+-----------------------+------------------+
| cached                | True             |
| size                  | 806380109824     |
| cache_lv              | home_cache       |
| cache_lv_size         | 85899345920      |
| metadata_lv           | home_cache_cmeta |
| metadata_lv_size      | 83886080         |
| cache_block_size      | 192              |
| cache_utilization     | 873786/873813    |
| cache_utilization_pct | 99.996910094     |
| demotions             | 43213            |
| dirty                 | 0                |
| end                   | 1574961152       |
| features              | 1                |
| md_block_size         | 8                |
| md_utilization        | 2604/20480       |
| md_utilization_pct    | 12.71484375      |
| promotions            | 43208            |
| read_hits             | 138697828        |
| read_misses           | 7874434          |
| segment_type          | cache            |
| start                 | 0                |
| write_hits            | 777455171        |
| write_misses          | 9841866          |

Zdenek> We were thinking about layering cached above each other - but so far there
Zdenek> was no big demand and also the complexity of solving problem is rising greatly
Zdenek> -  aka there is no problem to let users to stack cache on top of another cache
Zdenek> on top of 3rd. cache - but what should have when it starts failing...

Zdenek> AFAIK there is no one yet writing driver for combining i.e. SSD + HDD
Zdenek> into a single drive which would be relocating blocks (so you get total size as
Zdenek> aproximate sum of both devices) - but there is dm-zoned  which solves somewhat
Zdenek> similar problem - but I've no experience with that...

Zdenek> Zdenek