[linux-lvm] Looking ahead - tiering with LVM?

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Wed Sep 9 19:49:31 UTC 2020

Il 2020-09-09 21:41 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk ha scritto:
>>> First, filelevel is usually useless. Say you have 50 VMs with Windows
>>> server something. A lot of them are bound to have a ton of equal
>>> If you look at IOPS instead of just sequencial speed, you'll see the
>>> difference. A set of 10 drives in a RAID-6 will perhaps, maybe, give
>>> you 1kIOPS, while a single SSD might give you 50kIOPS or even more.
>>> This makes a huge impact.
>>
>> IOPs are already well server by LVM cache. So, I genuinely ask: what
>> would be tiering advantage here? I'll love to ear a reasonable use
>> case.
>
> LVMcache only helps if the cache is there in the first place and IIRC
> it's cleared after a reboot.

I seem to remember that cache is persistent, but a writeback cache must
be flushed to the underlying disk in case of unclean shutdown. This,
however, should not empty the cache itself.

> It help won't that much over time with large storage. It also wastes
> space.

I tend to disagree: with large storage, you really want an hotspot cache
vs a tiered approach unless:
a) the storage tiers are comparable in size, which is quite rare;
b) the slow storage does some sort of offline compression/deduplication,
with the faster layer being a landing zone for newly ingested data.

Can you describe a reasonable real-world setup where plain LVM tiering
would be useful? Again, this is a genuine question: I am interested in
different storage setup than mine.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan