[linux-lvm] lvm limitations

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 19:17:58 UTC 2020

Dne 16. 09. 20 v 6:58 Tomas Dalebjörk napsal(a):
> just curious about this:
>
>> Worth to note there is fixed strict limit of the ~16GiB maximum
>> thin-pool kernel metadata size - which surely can be exhausted -
>> mapping holds info about bTree mappings and sharing chunks between
>> devices....
> would that mean that one single thin-pool can maximum hold 16GiB/16 nr of blocks?

thin_metadata_size is the tool that you can play with and see the needed space
of metadata to handle various sized of data volumes.
The bigger the thin-pool chunk is - the less metadata is needed - but the
less 'efficient' snapshot becomes.

> and how about if LVM2 uses VDO as backend, are there more limitations that I need to consider there that are not reflected here

certainly yes - you need to check documentation for VDO how to configure
parameters to held given expected amount of data (with lvm lot of them
is ATM configurable from lvm.conf or profiles)

Zdenek