[linux-lvm] lvresize cannot refresh LV size on on other hosts when extending LV with a shared lock

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 10:41:10 UTC 2020

Dne 29. 09. 20 v 10:46 Gang He napsal(a):
> Hello List,
>
> I am using lvm2 v2.03.10(or v2.03.05), I setup a lvm2-lockd based (three nodes) cluster.
> I created PV, VG and LV, formated LV with a cluster file system (e.g. ocfs2).
> So far, all the things work well, I can write the files from each node.
> Next, I extended the online LV from node1, e.g.
> ghe-tw-nd1# lvresize -L+1024M vg1/lv1
>    WARNING: extending LV with a shared lock, other hosts may require LV refresh.
>    Size of logical volume vg1/lv1 changed from 13.00 GiB (3328 extents) to 14.00 GiB (3584 extents).
>    Logical volume vg1/lv1 successfully resized.
>    Refreshing LV /dev//vg1/lv1 on other hosts...
>
> But, the other nodes cannot aware this LV size was changed, e.g.

lvmlockd  does not care about state of LV.

This used to be achieved through clvmd code - but such code is no longer
available with 2.03 branch.

The assumed solution is - the user is supposed to write an engine on top of
lvm2 using some 'clustering' solution  and and orchestrate this work himself
(i.e. in this case run  'lvchange --refresh' on other hosts himself
somehow in-sync)

Zdenek