[linux-lvm] 2.03 Volume readable by 2.02?

John L. Poole jlpoole56 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 16:14:27 UTC 2021

I am having problems with a kernel and/or initial ram file system
booting up in a Xen environment.

The guest virtual machine's root file system is on an lvm volume created
in Debian.  Dom0 is Debian.
lvm on Debian is: 2.03.02(2).

The guest virtual machine is in Gentoo and I have lvm  2.02.187-r2
installed therein.  I built my
kernel and initramfs against the 2.02 version of lvm.

My question: should tools of lvm v. 2.02.187 be able to read and access
a volume created by 2.03.02?

Does the version change between 2.02 and 2.03 mean that the file system
created by 2.03 tools
may not be readable or accessible by 2.02 tools and libraries?  I'm
doubting it, but asking.

Gentoo's highest version of lvm is 2.02.187-r2; Gentoo developers have
lvm 2.03 masked with the note:

      [2.03] Needs LOTS of testing, broke boot on my laptop
      in early attempts, maybe needs matching genkernel work?

source: https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-fs/lvm2

Thank you,

John Poole