[linux-lvm] Does LVM have any plan/schedule to support btrfs in fsadm

Stuart D Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Mon Jun 28 03:28:20 UTC 2021

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021, heming.zhao at suse.com wrote:

> In my opinion, the using style of btrfs by many users are same as ext4/xfs.

Yes.  I like the checksums in metadata feature for enhanced integrity
checking.

It seems too complicated to have anytime soon - but when a filesystem
detects corruption, and is on an LVM (or md) RAID1 layer, an ioctl to
read alternate mirror branches to see which (if any) has the correct
data would allow recovery.  Btrfs does this if it is doing the
mirroring, but then you lose all the other features from LVM or md raid10,
including running other filesystems and efficient virtual disks for
virtual machines.

We eventually got DISCARD operations to pass to lower layers.
Dealing with mirror branches should really be a thing too.