[linux-lvm] " Failed to find physical volume <ZFS block device"

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 18:43:27 UTC 2021

Dne 23. 09. 21 v 20:03 alessandro macuz napsal(a):
> Thanks Zdenek,
>
> so it might be that metadata is corrupted somehow and hence the pvs program
> doesn't recognize that partition as physical volume?
> That may explain why lvmdiskscan reports physical disks (by just looking at
> the partition type 8e) and pvs completely ignores it.
> Am I correct?

Hi

Yes - if your disk header part has lost/damaged its content - it will not be
recognized as PV - thus completely ignored.

Note - the easiest is to check the verbose output of  'pvs -vvv' - where you
could follow up what is command doing in relatively 'readable' form - if you
can't follow it - just attach to the email for overlook why could be your disk
eventually ignored.

Note - the other reason could be the device got filtered by some filter - but
I assume you've not changed your configuration on your system ?

Zdenek