[linux-lvm] lvcreate hangs forever during snapshot creation when suspending volume

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 14:52:47 UTC 2022

Dne 02. 08. 22 v 5:01 Thomas Deutschmann napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Now - you suggests you are able to reproduce this issue also on your bare
>> metal hw - in this case run these 3 commands  before  'lvcreate'
>
>> Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Note: you could always 'experiment' without lvm2 in the picture -
>> you can ran   'fsfreeze --freeze|--unfreeze'  yourself - to see whether
> even
>> this command is able to finish  ?
>
> fsfreeze caused the same problem :/
>
> I also changed filesystem from xfs to ext4 just in case... same issue.
>
> For testing I stopped the MDRAID and removed one NVMe disk which I
> cleared and where I created a new ext4 partition. Running
>
>    $ fsfreeze --freeze /mnt/test
>
> returned within seconds and I was unable do any I/O against /mnt/test
> as expected.
>
> I unfreezed the filesystem and started to copy ~50GB to the volume.
> After waiting 5 minutes and verifying that /proc/meminfo didn't list
> any 'dirty' pages, I re-run the fsfreeze command which caused the
> same issue -- system hangs. :/
>
> I will repeat the test with the other NVMe later...
>
> So probably a kernel/driver issue or hardware problem.

Hi

So as guessed earlier - unrelated to lvm2.

You likely need to discover what is wrong with your 'raid' device ?
Was your raid array fully synchronized ?

Do you have only problem with one particular  MD 'raid' on your system - or
any other 'raid' you attach/create will suffer the same problem ?

Is it 'nvme' related on your system ?

Are the 'individual' nvme  devices running fine - just when they are mixed
together into a single array you get these  'fsfreeze' troubles ?

Regards

Zdenek