[linux-lvm] Creating/restoring snapshots in early userspace

cd cd at terminal.space
Sun Aug 7 20:38:42 UTC 2022

Hello,

I have created some scripts which runs in the initramfs during the boot process. Very specifically, it's an initcpio runtime hook https://man.archlinux.org/man/mkinitcpio.8#ABOUT_RUNTIME_HOOKS
Question: Is this a supported environment which to create/restore snapshots?

When my script runs lvm lvconvert --merge testvg/lvmautosnap-root-1659902622-good
it appears to succeed (exit code is 0, and the restore appears to work properly). However, the following warnings appear in stderr as part of the restore process:

/usr/bin/dmeventd: stat failed: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to unmonitor testvg/lvmautosnap-root-1659902622-good.
/usr/bin/dmeventd: stat failed: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to unmonitor testvg/lvmautosnap-root-1659902707-pending-2.
/usr/bin/dmeventd: stat failed: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to monitor testvg/lvmautosnap-root-1659902707-pending-2.
Merging of volume testvg/lvmautosnap-root-1659902622-good started.
/run/lvm/lvmpolld.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmpolld. Proceeding with polling without using lvmpolld.
WARNING: Check global/use_lvmpolld in lvm.conf or the lvmpolld daemon state.
testvg/root: Merged: 97.92%
testvg/root: Merged: 100.00%
Merge of snapshot into logical volume testvg/root has finished.
/usr/bin/dmeventd: stat failed: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to unmonitor testvg/lvmautosnap-root-1659902707-pending-2.
/usr/bin/dmeventd: stat failed: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to monitor testvg/lvmautosnap-root-1659902707-pending-2.
Logical volume "lvmautosnap-root-1659902622-good" successfully removed.

And I get similar errors when trying to create new volumes with lvm lvcreate --permission=r --snapshot --monitor n --name my_snapshot
 /usr/bin/dmeventd: stat failed: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to unmonitor testvg/lvmautosnap-root-1659902707-pending-2.
Logical volume "lvmautosnap-root-1659903385-pending" created.'
+ lvm_handle_error 0 '  /usr/bin/dmeventd: stat failed: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to unmonitor testvg/lvmautosnap-root-1659902707-pending-2.
Logical volume "lvmautosnap-root-1659903385-pending" created

I have noticed the --monitor n option exists for lvcreate, and that does seem to cut down on the error messages. However, trying to use the --driverloaded n flag always fails,
with a message like "Failed to find logical volume".

In summary, I'm happy to just ignore the warning messages. I just want to make sure I'm not risking the integrity of the lvm volumes by modifying them during this part of the boot process.

Kindly,
Anil Kulkarni