[linux-lvm] lvmpolld causes high cpu load issue

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 08:06:35 UTC 2022

Dne 17. 08. 22 v 4:03 Heming Zhao napsal(a):
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 12:26:51PM +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Dne 16. 08. 22 v 12:08 Heming Zhao napsal(a):
>>> Ooh, very sorry, the subject is wrong, not IO performance but cpu high load
>>> is triggered by pvmove.

>>> My mistake, I write here again:
>>> The subject is wrong, not IO performance but cpu high load is triggered by pvmove.
>>>
>>> There is no IO performance issue.
>>>
>>> When system is connecting 80~200, the cpu load increase by 15~20, the
>>> cpu usage by ~20%, which corresponds to about ~5,6 cores and led at
>>> times to the cores fully utilized.
>>> In another word: a single pvmove process cost 5-6 (sometime 10) cores
>>> utilization. It's abnormal & unaccepted.
>>>
>>> The lvm2 is 2.03.05, kernel is 5.3. systemd is v246.
>>>
>>> BTW:
>>> I change this mail subject from:  lvmpolld causes IO performance issue
>>> to: lvmpolld causes high cpu load issue
>>> Please use this mail for later discussing.
>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Could you please retest with recent version of lvm2. There have been
>> certainly some improvements in scanning - which might have caused in the
>> older releases some higher CPU usage with longer set of devices.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Zdenek
>
> The highest lvm2 version in SUSE products is lvm2-2.03.15, does this
> version include the improvements change?
> Could you mind to point out which commits related with the improvements?
> I don't have the reproducible env, I need to get a little detail before
> asking customer to try new version.

Please try to reproduce your customer's problem and see if the newer version
solves the issue.   Otherwise we could waste hours on theoretical discussions
what might or might not have helped with this problem. Having a reproducer is
a starting point for fixing it, if the problem is still there.

Here is one commit that may possibly affect CPU load:

d2522f4a05aa027bcc911ecb832450bc19b7fb57

Regards

Zdenek