[linux-lvm] lvmpolld causes high cpu load issue

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Wed Aug 17 17:35:32 UTC 2022

Il 2022-08-17 17:26 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
>> I like the general idea of the udev watch. It is the magic that causes
>> newly created partitions to magically appear in the system, which is

Would disabling the watch rule be a reasonable approach in this case? If
the user want to scan a new device, it only needs to issue partprobe or
kpartx, or am I missing something?

> There is on going  'SID' project - that might push the logic somewhat
> further, but existing 'device' support logic as is today is
> unfortunate 'trace' of how the design should not have been made - and
> since all 'original' programmers left the project long time ago - it's
> non-trivial to push things forward.

Well, this is not good news. Just for my education, it is possibile to
run a modern linux distro without udev at all? I still remember when the
new cool thing for device autodiscovery was devfs (with some distro -
like gentoo - taking the alternative approach to simply tarrig &
untarring much of the entire /dev/ files to prepopulate the major+minor
number...)

> We just hope the SID will make some progress (although probably small
> one at the beginning).

Any info on the project?
Thanks.

--