[linux-lvm] LVM performance vs direct dm-thin

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Mon Jan 31 07:52:39 UTC 2022

Il 2022-01-30 22:17 Demi Marie Obenour ha scritto:
> On Xen, the paravirtualised block backend driver (blkback) requires a
> block device, so file-based virtual disks are implemented with a loop
> device managed by the toolstack.  Suggestions for improving this
> less-than-satisfactory situation are welcome.

Ah - I expected that with something as

disk = [ 'file:mydisk.img,hda,w' ]

Xen would have directly used "mydisk.img" as the backend disk file. Does
it instead automatically create a loopback overlay?

I mainly use KVM, and maybe I am spoiled by its capability to use
basically any datastore as backing disk.
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico