[linux-lvm] Running thin_trim before activating a thin pool

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Mon Jan 31 11:02:23 UTC 2022

Il 2022-01-29 18:45 Demi Marie Obenour ha scritto:
> Is it possible to configure LVM2 so that it runs thin_trim before it
> activates a thin pool?  Qubes OS currently runs blkdiscard on every
> thin
> volume before deleting it, which is slow and unreliable.  Would running
> thin_trim during system startup provide a better alternative?

I think that, if anything, it would be worse: a long discard during boot
can be problematic, even leading to timeout on starting other services.
After all, blkdiscard should be faster then something done at higher
level.

That said, I seem to remember that deleting a fat volume should
automatically trim/discard it if issue_discard=1. Is this not true for
thin volumes?
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan