[linux-lvm] Why is the performance of my lvmthin snapshot so poor

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Tue Jun 14 07:04:02 UTC 2022

Il 2022-06-13 10:49 Zhiyong Ye ha scritto:
> The performance degradation after snapshotting is expected as writing
> to a snapshotted lv involving reading the original data, writing it
> elsewhere and then writing new data into the original chunk. But the
> performance loss was so much more than I expected. Is there any way to
> improve performance after creating a snapshot? Can I ask for your
> help?

This is the key point: when first writing to a new chunk, not only it
needs to be allocated, but old data must be copied. This r/m/w operation
transform an async operation (write) on a sync one (read), ruining
performance. Subsequent writes to the same chunk does have the same
issue.

The magnitute of the slowdown seems somewhat excessive, though. When
dealing with HDD pools, I remember a 3-5x impact on IOPs. Can you show
the exact fio command and the parameters of your thin pool (ie: chunk
size) and storage subsystem (HDD vs SSD, SATA vs SAS vs NVME)?

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico