[linux-lvm] Why is the performance of my lvmthin snapshot so poor

Zhiyong Ye yezhiyong at bytedance.com
Wed Jun 15 07:42:17 UTC 2022

在 6/14/22 10:54 PM, Gionatan Danti 写道:
> Il 2022-06-14 15:29 Zhiyong Ye ha scritto:
>> The reason for this may be that when the volume creates a snapshot,
>> each write to an existing block will cause a COW (Copy-on-write), and
>> the COW is a copy of the entire data block in chunksize, for example,
>> when the chunksize is 64k, even if only 4k of data is written, the
>> entire 64k data block will be copied. I'm not sure if I understand
>> this correctly.
>
> Yes, in your case, the added copies are lowering total available IOPs.
> But note how the decrease is sub-linear (from 64K to 1M you have a 16x
> increase in chunk size but "only" a 10x hit in IOPs): this is due to the
> lowered metadata overhead.

It seems that the consumption of COW copies when sending 4k requests is
much greater than the loss from metadata.

> A last try: if you can, please regenerate your thin volume with 64K
> chunks and set fio to execute 64K requests. Lets see if LVM is at least
> smart enough to avoid coping a to-be-completely-overwritten chunks.

I regenerated the thin volume with the chunksize of 64K and the random
write performance data tested with fio 64k requests is as follows:
case                    iops
thin lv                 9381
snapshotted thin lv     8307