[linux-lvm] Need inputs: Performance issues with LVM snapshots

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Mon Mar 7 14:44:27 UTC 2022

Il 2022-03-07 12:09 Gaikwad, Hemant ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> We have been looking at LVM as an option for long term backup using
> the LVM snapshots. After looking at the various forums and also
> looking at a few LVM defects, realized that LVM could be a very good
> option for short term backup, but might result in performance issues
> if the snapshots are retained for a long time. Also read we should
> restrict the number of snapshots. We are thinking of keeping it to 3,
> but do you think that could also be a performance bottleneck. A few
> forum posts also suggest memory issues with using LVM snapshots. Can
> you please help with some data on that too. Thanks in advance for
> making our decision easier. Thanks
>
> Regards,

Classical, non-thin LVM snapshots are only meant to be short-lived (just
enough to take a backup), and the performance penalty you talk about
does apply.
Thin LVM snapshots, on the other side, command a much lower performance
penalty and can be long-lived (ie: think about a rolling snapshot
system).
So if you need multiple, long-lived snapshots, I strongly suggest you to
check lvmthin.
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan