[linux-lvm] Bypassing LVM Restrictions - RAID6 With Less Than 5 Disks

Stuart D Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Sat May 7 20:41:12 UTC 2022

On Fri, 6 May 2022, Alex Lieflander wrote:

> Thanks. I really don’t want to give up the DM-Integrity management. Less complexity is just a bonus.

What are you trying to get out of RAID6?  If redundancy and integrity
are already managed at another layer, then just use RAID0 for striping.

I like to use RAID10 for mirror + striping, but I understand parity disks
give redundancy without halving capacity.  Parity means RMW cycles of
largish blocks, whereas straight mirroring (RAID1, RAID10) can write
single sectors without a RMW cycle.