[linux-lvm] LVM2 : performance drop even after deleting the snapshot

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:50:33 UTC 2022

Dne 13. 10. 22 v 8:53 Pawan Sharma napsal(a):
> adding this to lvm-devel mailing list also.
>
> Regards,
> Pawan

Hi

Debugging  5 year old software is likely not going to get lot of attention
from upstream.

So please:

a) reproduce the issue with some recent  kernel & lvm2
b) take   'dmsetup table && dmsetup status'  before you run every 'fio' test
and present here your result in some form - otherwise we can hardly see what
is the problem.

What should be expected - if you use old/thick snapshots - when you 'drop'
snapshot - you have your original intact LV - so results should mostly match
results before you take the snapshot - but you clearly have to take into
account if you use some 'SSD/NVMe' discarding and other things - so always run
series of tests and average your results.

If you use  thin snapshot - that you can get various results depending on your
settings of thin chunks, discard usage.

Also maybe try your benchmark with different filesystems...

Regards

Zdenek