[linux-lvm] Trouble Booting Custom Kernel with QEMU: dracut-initqueue timeout waiting for /dev/sysvg/root

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:14:17 UTC 2023

Dne 31. 08. 23 v 0:40 Vishal Chourasia napsal(a):
> On 8/30/23 20:01, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Dne 30. 08. 23 v 8:40 Vishal Chourasia napsal(a):
>>> Hi All,
>>>
> # cat /proc/cmdline
> BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,gpt2)/vmlinuz-6.4.7-200.fc38.x86_64
> root=/dev/mapper/sysvg-root ro console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200n8
> rd.lvm.lv=sysvg/root
>
> I have tried passing "root=/dev/mapper/sysvg-root rd.lvm.lv=sysvg/root"
> with the -append option and it hasn't worked either.
>>
>> dracut that needs to include lvm2 code and be able to activate such LV
>> prior switch to rootfs  (having somewhere inside  lvchange -ay
>> vgname/lvrootname)
> 1. How may I verify that dracut has included lvm2 code or not?
> 2. Which file in the dracut would contain
>     `lvchange -ay vgname/lvrootname` code?

Hi

If you are making ramdisk image from the system - dracut should autodetect
such case and build the image with lvm2 support inside (unless you've
instructed in dracut.conf to not doing so).

You can check if you dracut ramdisk image contains /usr/sbin/lvm
and also if dirs  in /usr/lib/dracut/hooks do have lvm2 scripts inside as well
as /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.

Not really sure how are you trying to build this yourself since the Fedora
anaconda installer should be doing all of this for you automatically - so how
did you got to the point you don't get this from your installation time ?

Regards

Zdenek