[linux-lvm] The feasibility of implementing an alternative snapshot approach

Zhiyong Ye yezhiyong at bytedance.com
Mon Jan 9 06:21:48 UTC 2023

Hi Zdenek,

Thank you for your detailed answer.

For the thin snapshot I will use the latest version of kernel and lvm
for further testing. I want to use both snapshot methods (thin and
thick) in the production environment. But if the thick snapshot is only
still in the maintenance phase, then for thick lv I have to see if there
is any other way to accomplish the snapshot function.

I use lvm mainly for virtualized environments. Each lv acts as a block
device of the virtual machine. So I also consider using qemu's own
snapshot feature. When qemu creates a snapshot, the original image used
by the virtual machine becomes read-only, and all write changes are
stored in the new snapshot. But currently qemu's snapshots only support
files, not block devices.

Regards

Zhiyong