[linux-lvm] lvm2-testsuite stability

Scott Moser smoser at brickies.net
Tue Jun 20 18:58:26 UTC 2023

>Missed to actually answer this embedded question about the current git tree
>for lvm2. We are still at sourceware:
>
>https://sourceware.org/git/?p=lvm2.git

Yeah, sorry. i was aware, I just pointed to the github being lazy.
It'd be nice for that to be up to date, but it isn't really important
here.

>So likely github has some out-of-sync mirror ATM and gitlab even looks like
>some Bastian's  fork ???  (which I'm finding seriously confusing for lvm2
>users - Debian should be giving different/distinct names here for their forked
>projects instead i.e. lvm2-debian  if there exists any real need for that...)

I'm not certain of this, but I think that the branch is maintained with
as many debian packages are being maintained now.  Rather than a set of
patches against an upstream, they're using git to maintain delta and git
merge to sync changes. See https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit  for
more information.

The upstream (lvm2) code is tagged in the repo, so you can see
differences between upstream/2.03.16 to debian/2.03.16-2 at:

   https://salsa.debian.org/lvm-team/lvm2/-/compare/debian%2F2.03.16-2...upstream%2F2.03.16?from_project_id=24161&straight=true

That will give you some idea of the changes in debian. you can get a
diff without debian/ dir with:

     git diff upstream/2.03.16..debian/2.03.16-2 -- ':!debian'

or

     git diff upstream/2.03.16..master -- ':!debian'

Unfortunately, that doesn't get you a whole lot more information. There
isn't a huge delta, but the delta there is not annotated particularly
well.  If I had to guess, I'd assume that some of it is no longer
necessary.

Dropping that delta would be a good example of something that is made
much easier with the integration test that autopkgtest provides.

>>> The gist at https://gist.github.com/smoser/3107dafec490c0f4d9bf9faf02327f04
>>> describes how I am doing this.  It is "standard" package build and autopkgtest
>>> on debian/ubuntu.  The autopkgtest VM does not use LVM for the system
>>> so we don't have to worry about interaction with that.
>
>So leads to a question was this testing actually tried against upstream git
>main/HEAD branch ?
>Is this test testing Debian packaged version of lvm2 which is not equivalent
>to upstream lvm2 ?

I was intentionally testing the debian package version here, as that is
the ultimate goal of package tests.  I've not tried with upstream.
Sorry if that wasn't clear.