[linux-lvm] lvconvert --uncache takes hours

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Wed Mar 1 22:44:00 UTC 2023

Hi all

Working with a friend's machine, it has lvmcache turned on with writeback. This has worked well, but now it's uncaching and it takes *hours*. The amount of cache was chosen to 100GB on an SSD not used for much else and the dataset that is being cached, is a RAID-6 set of 10x2TB with XFS on top. The system mainly works with file serving, but also has some VMs that benefit from the caching quite a bit. But then - I wonder - how can it spend hours emptying the cache like this? Most write caching I know of last only seconds or perhaps in really worst case scenarios, minutes. Since this is taking hours, it looks to me something should have been flushed ages ago.

Have I (or we) done something very stupid here or is this really how it's supposed to work?

Vennlig hilsen

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk