[Lohit-devel-list] A New Malayalam Free Software Font Project

Rahul Bhalerao b.rahul.pm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:41:22 UTC 2007

On 11/6/07, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> I thought I'd drop this mailing list a line to ask if anyone here would
> like to be involved in my project - giving me feedback and supporting
> information and perhaps doing some testing for me next year :-)

Glad to know about your project. You can take a reference of the various
malayalam fonts like lohit, rachana or samyak.
In case you need help, you can fire your queries on this list or find me on
#indlinux or #fedora-i18n.

Initially I'm interested in the technical limitations around supporting
> Indic languages including Malayalam in the most common free
> rendering systems, both on screen (Pango/freetype) and for
> printing (Firefox, scribus, TeX, OpenOffice.org)

As of now, except for few bugs, pango, QT or OpenOffice support malayalam
rendering.
In the process of bug fixing there will be some changes to be complemented
with font rules as well.
So be updated on them. For now you may start with unicode 5 and OpenType
specs for malayalam.

Also, if anyone who has made any Indic fonts with free software is
> on this list, I hope you'll also get in contact with me :-)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dave

Regards,