[Lohit-devel-list] Lohit Fonts Copyright..

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Jun 26 01:44:20 UTC 2009

Hi Kartik,

> I am looking for clarity for Lohit Font's [1] Copyright while
> packaging it for Debian Project.

> 2. Who owns copyright for Lohit fonts?
> 3. While looking at fonts (for example, lohit-gu) copyright shows as
> following:
> Copyright (c) 2003, Automatic Control Equipments, Pune, INDIA. -
> under General Public License
>
> Please clarify #2 and #3.

IANAL, but let me say what I know on this and maybe someone who knows more details in Pune or Rahul B can fill-in and correct any mistakes that follow.

Red Hat purchased the fonts and the right to release them under GPL: they were initially packaged under the generic name fonts-indic.
Since then more languages and glyphs and many fixes/changes to the original fonts have been made: nearly all those changes and additions were made by Red Hat and so should be copyright.

I think the license headers need to be updated to reflect that Red Hat made changes to the fonts with the years those changes were made: something like

Copyright (c) 2003-2009 Red Hat Inc.

if not already there.

Otherwise I am sure what the issue is or what more needs to be clarified.

Thanks, Jens
--
Fedora I18n Team