[Lohit-devel-list] Lohit Devanagari not displaying ञ्जि properly

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 12:23:46 UTC 2011

Hello. I use the Devanagari script heavily as I am a Sanskrit scholar.
So I'm using Lohit Devanagari 2.4.5 on Kubuntu Natty. (I was
disappointed that Kubuntu doesn't ship the latest Lohit fonts so I
deleted all Lohit fonts installed by default and manually installed the
latest.) I also use Lohit fonts on the occasions when I have to go to
Windows XP.

I however find that the syllable ञ्जि is not being displayed properly.
Please see the attachment. The ordinary left-hand glyph of ि is being
substituted by the extra long glyph -- possibly under the presumption
that ञ्ज contains a conjoining form which would come to extra width.
However, since ञ्ज is handled as a single ligature of normal width, this
substitution should not occur.

Please look into this. Thanks!

--
Shriramana Sharma