[Lohit-devel-list] ~OT: Publishing a font under the GPL

pravin.d.s at gmail.com pravin.d.s at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:11:44 UTC 2011

On 20 July 2011 14:44, Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/20/2011 10:22 AM, pravin.d.s at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> So i think it better to release source as it is, it will not harm
>> anything.
>>
>> Second options i think
>> 1) Edit .ttf file, save it as .sfd
>> 2) generate ttf from saved .sfd
>>

> Hello -- while I understand that point about no promises being made for
> fitness for a particular purpose, the above instructions you give for
> pseudo-producing an SFD form (which is considered to be a "source" form)
> from the TTF form (which is considered to be a "compiled" form) themselves
> clearly indicate that the so-called sources distinct from the TTF are easily
> produceable by available tools. Maybe one can compare this to WAV versus
> FLAC -- the former is easily produceable from the latter ergo distributing
> material as the latter alone should not be in conflict with the GPL.

You missed 3rd point "if"

3) *If* you are getting expected .ttf from step two, Release .ttf (binary)
generated in step two with .sfd (source) with LICENSE and README

Please try it.

> Given this, what is the point in creating faux-sources from the TTF file,
> and why can't distributing the TTF alone be considered GPL-compliant?

TTF is binary file, try to edit in gedit or openoffice
Try same with .sfd file, you will understand the difference.

-
Pravin S