[Lohit-devel-list] ~OT: Publishing a font under the GPL

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Jul 22 02:20:31 UTC 2011

Hi.

IANAL but I spent a lot of time with libre font licenses :)

You can't REQUIRE anything; the GPL says others can ignore any
additional requirements, and the OFL says it invalidates the license
(I think)

The GPL for fonts is tricky because its unclear what the 'preferred
form of modification' means in practice.

I suggest using the SIL OFL. The benefits of a particular form of
modification don't outweigh the complexity, or the inability to mix
with the large OFL pool - network effects are powerful and important
in my opinion :)

Cheers
Dave