[Lohit-devel-list] Fwd: [OpenType] Problems for Indian Typography discussion paper

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jan 24 15:57:31 UTC 2013

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Hudson <john at tiro.ca>
Date: 18 January 2013 16:42
Subject: [OpenType] Problems for Indian Typography discussion paper
To: "multiple recipients of OpenType"@mail.indx.co.uk

Message from OpenType list:

Back in August, there was a discussion on the OpenType developer list
(subject: '<init> and <fina> in Indic scripts?') regarding Indic shaping
engines limiting layout input and context to individual clusters,
preventing contextual interaction across syllable boundaries. Although
some concerns were raised about possible impact on existing fonts if
this behaviour were to change, I believe this is a minor an unproven
concern vs. the clear problems raised for Indic typography by this
limitation.

I have prepared a discussion paper -- i.e. a paper to prompt discussion
-- illustrating some of the problems that occur in Indian typography
that cannot be resolved without cross-cluster layout interaction. This
paper is available here:

http://www.tiro.com/John/Problems_for_Indic_Typography.pdf

Although I will likely draw attention to this paper in other forums, it
would be helpful if discussion were conducted on the OpenType developer
list.

JH

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_

subscribe: opentype-migration-sub at indx.co.uk
messages: opentype-migration-list at indx.co.uk

--
Cheers