[Lohit-devel-list] Lohit2: Improvement plans for Lohit-Tamil !!

Pravin Satpute psatpute at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 07:03:28 UTC 2014

Hi All,

   In last phase we have done excellent improvements in Devanagari,
Gujarati, Gurumukhi and Malayalam with Lohit2 projects. Bengali is
already done i need to test it for completeness then i can do the
release of same soon.
  Now remaining are Kannada, Oriya, Tamil and Telugu. We are moving
ahead with start working on Tamil development now.

  Improvements we are planning to do are as follows:

  * Renaming glyphs as per AGL.
  * Rewriting Open type rules following 'taml' and "tml2" [1]
  * Create testing file which covers most of the combinations.
  * Testing with Harfbuzz and Uniscribe.
  * Auto testing module.
  * Feature file compiled with AFDKO. (Adobe fonts development kit for
    Open Type) [2]
  * Follow Tamil script standards. Unicode.

   We have already started development on lohit2 git [3]

   I need help specifically for following items.

  * Creating test file with adding important combinations
  * Identifying standards around Tamil script, i did not found other
    than Unicode yet.

Thank you,
Pravin Satpute

1. https://www.microsoft.com/typography/OpenTypeDev/tamil/intro.htm#appendix