[Lohit-devel-list] In long term we should use Adobe font development kit (AFDKO) for Lohit ttf build

Pravin Satpute psatpute at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 08:18:18 UTC 2015

Hi All,

   I was thinking for this from some time now.
   Reasons:
  1. Lots of well know fonts are using AFDKO. AFAIK Adobe fonts are
build using AFDKO.
  2. Things we required in Lohit specifically, easy to read feature
files and final ttf with Adobe glyph naming guideline looks easily
manageable with AFDKO.  (/GlyphOrderAndAliasDB and .Fea/)
  3. AFDKO feature file compilation is much better than Fontforge.
Noticed this earlier with OTM errors. Also while compiling i found
number of error not identified by fontforge.
  4. All command line, so we can automate very nicely.
  5. We will use fontforge only for outline related work. Presently we
are still using fontforge for OpenType rules writing, i have not faced
any problem into it yet. But perfect solution is we should write open
type rules in .fea file itself.  This at least not targeting presently

Regards,
Pravin Satpute