[lvm-devel] Re: striped LVM1 volumes

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 20:10:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 02:07:38PM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> I don't want to remove checks like that.
> Two possibilities:
>   the check is being performed wrongly and needs fixing
>     - unlikely since it works with LVM2 metadata
>   the LVM1 format metadata isn't being set up correctly
>     - fix it in the format lvm1 code

Well, as expected, it is pretty clear that the bug is
in the lvm1 format code.

Easily reproduced - just create a format1 striped LV of more than 2
extents using lvm2 and find that lvm2 cannot read it back!

There's a factor of #stripes missing from the code that sets the
segment size when building up the segments, and the algorithm used to
detect the size of a segment is also bogus.  (It seems to be trying to
handle an extended lvm1 format we once had that supported lvm2-like
striping extensions.)

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com