[lvm-devel] strdup in str_list.c: why strdup rather than e.g., dm_pool_strdup?

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 16:03:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 02:08:35PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> I noticed the use of strdup in str_list.c, and wondered why that code
> isn't using dm_pool_strdup, since the list structure itself is allocated
> via dm_pool_alloc(mem,...

(Note that this code dates from 2004.)
strdup() should no longer be used (except in initialisation code):
we now have dm_strdup() instead that includes leak checking.

So firstly change it to dm_strdup().
Then the leak gets reported (eg pvdisplay a tagged PV).

So then change it to dm_pool_strdup() and things look OK.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com