[lvm-devel] lvcreate -s - why specifying size for snapshot ?

Jonathan Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Fri Mar 20 17:12:57 UTC 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Sandeep K Sinha wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Jonathan Brassow
> <jbrassow at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> The size of the snapshot governs the amount of space set aside for
>>> storing the changes to the origin volume. E.g. if you made a
>>> snapshot
>>> and then completely overwrote the origin the snapshot would have
>>> to be
>>> at least as big as the origin volume to hold the changes.
>>>
> Agreed to all the explainations, but then I would like to know why am
> I able to succeed in creating a snapshot > original volume.
> LVM should puke an error for it right.

You need to keep in mind that there will be some metadata associated
with tracking blocks in the snapshot, so if you overwrote the entire
origin, you would need 'snapshot > origin'.  Also, in the near future,
multiple snapshots may share the same COW device... in which case you
very well may need to create a 'snapshot > origin'.

Leaving out the subtleties, the first explanation is the best.

> Or is our snapshot like a CDP? I dont thinks so.

Snapshots might be a part of an overall CDP (continuous data
protection) system, but not a CDP by itself.

  brassow