[lvm-devel] Suppress locking initialisation failure messages when --ignorelockingfailure is used

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Mon Feb 8 15:04:20 UTC 2010

On 02/08/2010 03:55 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08 2010 at  9:36am -0500,
> Peter Rajnoha <prajnoha at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/08/2010 02:46 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
>>>
>>> Dracut is rw but we (dracut's lvm hooks) impose read-only locking
>>> through dracut's lvm.conf.  This was done so no metadata updates could
>>> occur within the initramfs environment.
>>
>> Yes, dracut environment is rw but the root fs itself is mounted ro first.
>> The "vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure" (that is called after the pivotroot)
>> is run just before the rw remount happens (..looking at Fedora/RHEL6 rc.sysinit).
>>
>> We didn't notice that directly before, because init_locking silently "failed"
>> (but returned with OK status from init_locking fn, since --ignorelockingfailure is set).
>
> Shouldn't rc.sysinit's "vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure" come
> _after_ root's rw remount?

Exactly. It should also start volume monitoring etc.

Note that monitoring need rw access (at least for status log to syslog,
but also if it triggers some change, it will require real lock - to perform
repair, snapshot resize or other action; metadata backups etc).

I think that the sequence is broken and we should not paper over it by disabling
the error message.

Milan