[lvm-devel] lvm and locales memory issue

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue Feb 23 13:07:24 UTC 2010

On 23.2.2010 10:15, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:52:19AM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Ok - and now I'm getting confused and lost here.
>>
>> >From our chat I've got impression that using 'localedef' is perfectly valid
>> way how to create usable content for /usr/lib/locale.
>
> True, but very costly one.
>
> time for i in `cat /tmp/SUPPORTED`; do j=`echo $i | sed 's,/.*$,,'`; k=`echo $i | sed 's,^.*/,,'`; l=`echo $j | sed 's/\..*$//'`; localedef -A /usr/share/locale/locale.alias --no-archive -f $k -i $l -c /tmp/nyy/$j; done
>
> real	6m12.985s
> user	5m34.818s
> sys	0m33.134s
>
> Do you seriously suggest that we spend 6 minutes on very fast machines
> during glibc-common upgrades?  You must be joking.

As a side note to these timing informations - from my strace it looks like
some major portion of this compilation time is spent in parsing translit_*
files which seems to be the same for all locales?? - thus if there would be
just tiny improvement in localedef, to be able to generate multiple locales at
once, I'd assume the total compilation time could be much better....

So it really depends on which part do you want to optimize....

Zdenek