[lvm-devel] LVM fault handling policies

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Jul 2 13:01:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 03:22:20PM -0500, Jon Brassow wrote:
> Note, while most LVM commands
> will automatically update the metadata on a restored devices, the
> following exceptions exist:
> - pvs (because it does not read/update VG metadata)

It depends what fields have been requested to be displayed:
some are stored in the VG metadata so have to be read from there.

> (a 'dmsetup suspend/resume' works equally well).

Let's not encourage use of dmsetup alongside LVM tools - all sorts of
other things can go wrong then.  If it's a useful thing to be able to
do, lvm should offer it in a properly-controlled way.  (lvchange
--refresh?)

> before proceeding.  This is simply another case, I think, where it

Avoid writing it as a personal opinion:)  Write it in the form of
an option to consider.

Alasdair