[lvm-devel] liblvm Python/C extension (Python Liblvm)

Lars Sjöström lars.sjostrom at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 09:58:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 01:11 +0100, Petr Rockai wrote:
> I am not a python guy myself, but I definitely welcome this. On the
> other hand, as Zdeněk points out, this does have some issues.

Zdenek has indeed a good point! How much work do you guys see to get
this sorted? (implement parameter for non-memlocking to RAM for certain
LVM commands/APIs.)

> Nevertheless, there's another significant issue, and that is
> maintenance. I can't commit to maintaining python bindings, since I have
> responsibilities besides liblvm and I am a part-timer on LVM -- which
> doesn't exactly leave much space for python (which would necessarily
> include a lot of learning).
>
> I'll try to talk with the rest of the team about how to best approach
> this. There might be someone with the required python (and python
> binding) skills and enough time. Alternatively, do you think you could
> take the responsibility for the bindings yourself?

I'm indeed willing to take the maintenance ownership if you don't mind!

As I said in earlier email, there is still work left. Doc strings,
proper packaging as well as add the new APIs that were released in
December.

Should I continue and post updates?

Best regards,
Lars