[lvm-devel] boom packaging question

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu May 10 14:09:49 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 02:07:23PM +0200, Marian Csontos wrote:
> Bryn, I do wonder, shall we treat files in /boot/loader/entries and
> /boot/boom/profiles as user data?

%config(noreplace) for profiles please.

For entries, I'm less certain, since we do not package any (only the
directory that contains them). I believe if a directory is not empty
after removing packaged files that RPM will leave it all behind.

> There are multiple reasons for that:
>
> - If one for whatever reason removes boom package, shall we keep
> /boot/loader/entries? I think rather Yes.

Yes.

> - If there are multiple linux distribution installed, could they potentially
> fight over this directory and its content? Maybe...

Not if they actually comply with the standard that governs it:

  https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/

The whole entire point of that is that it is a shared, system-wide
/boot environment.

> - OsProfiles are similar and IMO even more relevant. User will likely need
> to change those (e.g at least remove rhgb and quiet from kernel cmdline,
> and/or add rd.luks.uuid), so if not data, we should treat them more like
> config files with backups, and we should not replace them on updates.

Yes: any that we actually provide (like the limited samples in RHEL)
ought to be %config(noreplace).

> - I am not sure OS/RPM would be happy about %config files in /boot :-|
>     - *TODO:* Test it even works!

Someone should tell the grub2 people:

$ rpm -qc grub2
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg