[lvm-devel] transaction_manager::new_block() couldn't allocate new block

Eric Wheeler lvm-devel at lists.ewheeler.net
Sat Oct 19 00:29:18 UTC 2019

Hello all,

We are attempting to repair a thin meta volume and get the following
error after it runs for a while:

~]# thin_repair -V
0.8.5

~]# thin_repair -i /dev/mapper/data-data--pool_tmeta -o /dev/data/tmeta-dest
truncating metadata device to 4161600 4k blocks
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  transaction_manager::new_block() couldn't allocate new block
Aborted (core dumped)

How I can troubleshoot this further?

I'm happy to try patches against thin_repair if you would like.  I'm also
trying thin_dump/thin_restore, so we will see how that goes---but I
thought you might want to know in case there is a bug in thin_repair that
could be fixed while I have the metadata in this state.

--
Eric Wheeler