Re: Announcing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (Nahant) Beta 2 Public Availability

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 01:33:02PM -0800, Jeffrey Siegal wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >The 4G of kernel address space are useful from 1Gb of ram
> >onwards (less kmap's needed) but more so from 12Gb onwards (because by
> >then the 1Gb of lowmem in the non-4g/4g kernel really starts hurting the
> >vm algorithms).
>
> Any guidelines on when to choose the hugemem kernel on systems with 1GB
> - 12GB of RAM (which is probably a large share if not the majority at
> this point)?

personally I would always use it; the "overhead" is quite low and the extra
virtual address space helps for java and the like. It's a pain to switch
kernels if you want to start java :-)

So as far as I'm concerned the 4g/4g kernels should be the default ones.
(with perhaps a kernel without it for when you care about performance in
vmware or the last percent of other performance, although there are other
config options that could be tweaked that have potentially more impact than
4g/4g)