evolution followup

I was exploring Evolution's menus and discovered "followup" on the list
that pops up when I right-click the body of an mail.

I click that, and get a little dialogue box.

There is a drop-down menu, "due by."

Click that, I get a calendar.
Click a day (today) and it fills in 11/16/2004.

There aren't 16 months in 2004. Trust me.

Why is it doing this? I'm sure I specified Western Australia when I
installed, and date thinks so:
[summer thylacine ~]$ date
Tue Nov 16 16:19:10 WST 2004
[summer thylacine ~]$

WST is correct for my timezone.

I'm running Evolution in KDE. Should it not use the desktop environment
settings? KDE says the short date is YYYY-MM-DD.