Adding programs

Years go, adding programs from the installation was a royal pain. One had to
search the CDs, try to install something, find there were prerequisite
packages, find them and so on....

I thought I'd see how RH hs andvanced since those times, see if it's caught up
with Debian, so I hunted round the menus and eventually found Add/Remove
Applications in Settings.
Eh?
I thought this was a "system tool."

I hunted up and down and made some selections. I couldn't find strace, the
program I actually wanted, but there were some other things that seemed
interesting. I also deselected some.

It amounted to about 3 Mbytes and I clicked "Update."

It whirred and fizzed for a while (this is a steam-powered computer) and
eventually popped up a dialogue:
"Packages not found."
elfutils
perl-XML-Dumper
gettext
/bin/gettext
17 in all, some of them duplicates.

It doesn't actually offer help in fixing this, just tells me to do it.

In contrast, in Debian (which I've been using for a while) I'd say something
like
apt-get install strace
and apt-get would find what other packages are needed and offer to install
those too. It would also ask me for the correct CDs.

I expected this to just work, as well as it does in Debian.

It doesn't seem to me that up2date is the answer either.

What should one do?

--
Cheers
John