Re: Adding programs

John Haxby wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:

Off CD? I couldn't see that from the docs, and on starting up up2date it wants to register, and I don't especially want to do that.
I especially don't want to pull stuff off RHN through my modem when I've probably got a satisfactory version on CD.

Having said that, the system-config-packages thing should work -- it has a parameter to point it to a directory full of ISO images (--isodir). That isn't your only choice though. system-config-packages is a bit limited though for my liking. My preferred solution, at least the last time I did it, was to mount the ISO images (using -o loop) and create a yum archive. up2date knows about yum archives but I don't recall whether it preferred RHN or yum for local packages -- I installed a version of yum as well.

If you've got disk space, I'd copy all the CD RPMs to your machine. I use /usr/local/RPMS/ but whatever works. Then check out the bottom of /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and look closely at the lines:

### A local directory full of packages (a "dir" repo). For example:
#dir my-favorite-rpms /var/spool/RPMS/
#dir my-java-rpms /root/java/

The rest is left as an exercise for the reader...

(By the way, for up2date to like the local RPMs they should be GPG
signed--which Red Hat's of course are but don't dump just anything).