Re: kudzu auto mode

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:54:02 +0100, Grant Williamson
<traxtopel fastmail fm> wrote:
> Bill,
> I mean just the basic config. i.e. for a network device ... update in
> hwconf, alias of ethX in modules.conf & creation of ifcfg-ethX.

The problem I see with what you want is that setting defaults is an
annoyance, from my POV.  I really dislike it when some piece of
software makes assumptions on what I want.

The biggest annoyance I can see is say you have a new NIC that you
install, you start the machine, and then walk away.  Kudzu will
launch, see it, and configure it wiht defaults, which, since you arent
present to counteract any of this is something like this:

onboot=yes
bootproto=dhcp

insert correct module in modprobe.conf, etc...

so now when you come back and reboot the machine, bam, you sit for 15
minutes waiting while the NIC tries to grab a DHCP address from a
nonexistant dhcp server (because you dont run DHCP on your network).

Another problem is what happens after the initial config?  Given the
same scenario, Kudzu configures the device, updates its tables, thats
it.  No reminders that it was configured automatically, and that you,
the user, should go back and double check the settings to ensure that
what Kudzu chose is what you want...

Personally, I see no real problem with what it is doing now...  if it
doesnt get any input, it just goes about its happy way, and I have to
manually configure the device after booting.  Less automatic
assumptions = less chance for nastiness to occur... at least to some
degree...

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth...

Jeff

--
                      www.jefflane.org

The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
rights, no police, no courts.  Don't talk about fairness or
innocence, and don't talk about what should be done.  Instead,
talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
user base." -Paul Vixie