Re: up2date question

On 2004-11-18 at 14:12-06 Mark Zolton <mark zolton org> wrote:

> I posted a question similar to this last week. I did try to upgrade
> from Beta 1 to Beta 2 through up2date with little success.

Actually, I upgraded from beta1 to beta2, and I didn't think it was
that difficult:

    1.  Manually download and install the new redhat-release and
        rpmdb-redhat packages.

    2.  Configure up2date to "download only" (not install).

    3.  Use up2date to download the new packages.

    4.  Freshen any new critical packages (e.g. glibc) first, along
        with any dependencies.

    5.  Install the new kernel package, along with any dependencies.

    6.  Freshen all remaining rpms.

> The recommenced method seems to be a reinstall as this will more
> accurately reflect the intentions of the developers.  After trying
> this myself, I have to agree.

That would be best, yes.  But I just didn't have time to do a complete
reinstall.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute