Re: udev, MD, and stripes of mirrors

On 2004-11-23 at 12:13-08 Eric Eisenhart <eric eisenhart sonoma edu> wrote:

> raid15 and raid51 are quite unusual to see, though.  Amazingly fault
> tolerant, high performance (even if not quite as good as raid10 and
> raid01)...  rather expensive, though.

It's not an option for us.  This array will be the /var partition on a
cyrus-imapd-based IMAP server, which will generate many scattered and
simultaneous reads and writes.  That's pretty much the pathological
case for raid5, and the benchmarks we ran seemed to point in that
direction, too.

But regardless, I'd still like to know if it's a bug or a design
limitation that the RAID_AUTORUN ioctl doesn't start any stacked
arrays:

    ioctl(fd, RAID_AUTORUN, 0)

IMHO, it should.