Re: /etc/logrotate.d/httpd

Mike Kercher wrote:
Because the old log is rotated (mv'd to log.1/2/3)  Restarting httpd allows
it to create a new log file...otherwise, nothing would get logged.

Shouldn't that be a PRErotate then?

I would think it needs to stop Apache. Then move log files. Then start again.

Else might there be danger of missing something?

I also find it disheartening that apache actually needs to restart for it to let go of the inode and start write logs again. Couldn't there be a softer way? Else the server might miss an incoming connection in the short time it's down?