[Octa-list] Octa Deployment Documentation and hypervisor support

Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov
Mon Apr 18 14:23:30 UTC 2011

So... I would eventually like to get the information for running systems
from the satellite, but I want to rely on separate cobbler instances (we
have several) for the configuration.

The best way I can think to describe it is to take your Architecture
Diagram (
https://fedorahosted.org/octa/attachment/wiki/Architecture/Slide1.png?format=raw)
 scratch out Satellite from each of those little clouds and put it off to
the side.  The only thing it provides is centralized package distribution
and entitlement management.

I've started re-writing some of the code to support this, but would like to
not go completely off the rail with it to a point where ya'll disagree with
the implementation and I end up with a forked project.  That doesn't help
anyone, imo.

Initially I fixed the logic in create.py's profile display to match that of
the existing logic in 'octa --list-profiles' so if satellite isn't
configured at all, then it displays cobbler profiles.  This seems to work
fairly well.

I added logic to create.py to generate a list of existing system names in
cobbler as an option.  But then over the weekend I thoguht about it more
and decided maybe it would be better to have a separate page, build.py
maybe, that would let you pick a system, get a "snapshot" view of its
config (network, cpu, memory, size) and confirm its build (with a existing
status with a confirmation for a rebuild).

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the whole IP/DHCP bit,
because we are a static IP shop.

I guess my problem is that while we need all the bits for a 'cloud-like'
IaaS, ours is not a dynamic environment like Amazon.

-greg